The General Manager is responsible for the daily operations of all properties (almost 50) and is also accountable for the financial performance, the physical condition, and the work atmosphere of the property. The General Manager is charged with the primary duty of managing and operating the property so that it provides a safe, clean environment for both guests and employees. The General Manager is responsible for ensuring that the property adheres to corporate financial and operational procedures, and ensures a high level of quality and guest satisfaction. Salesmanship and knowledge of the local competitive landscape are critical to success.
- Provide leadership and direction to a team of people
- Manage operations and finances of a business
- Recruit and train new hires on business practices
- Drive the development of employees
- Ensure that quality of work or service is maintained
- Management and Customer Service experience Strong administrative skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead
- Comfort working with budgets, payroll, revenue, and forecasting Strong communications skills
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Recruit, interview, and hire all property staff
- Training, development, and support of property staff
- Responsible for office operations, including checking-in and checking out guests, control of all money, and bookkeeping and payroll functions
- Ensure and provide excellent guest service
- Develop expertise on computer operating system
- Identify and manage repair and maintenance issues
- Identify capital expenditure needs
- Assist with the completion of capital expenditure projects
- Identify and follow up on life/safety issues and inspection issues
- Notify Supervisor of any guest concerns
- Maximize financial performance through revenue management and pricing recommendations
- Meet budgets through P&L analysis and effective cost and inventory control
- Assists in preparation of annual budgets
- Monitor competitors for their market
- Drive sales through local marketing
- Develop and maintain positive relationships will all local governmental authorities
- Assist in recruitment and training of other General Managers
- Possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and a functioning automobile.
- Read, speak, write and understand the English language in order to interact with guests, and staff, handle administrative duties, etc.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret information found in a variety of reports and other internal hotel information. Sufficient mathematical skills to prepare forecasts and reports, calculate room revenue, average rate, occupancy percentage, and labor costs, count and balance a cash bank, etc.
- General computer proficiency.
- Possess thorough knowledge of Front Office and related department operations, service standards and techniques, guest relations and etiquette, and up-selling techniques, in order to ensure the effective operation of the front office and related departments (examples include providing a high level of service, effective staff training, proficient problem solving, effective cost controls, etc.).
- Possess the knowledge and ability to perform a variety of front office and related positions in response to business conditions.
- Ability to compose and express thoughts in a clear and understandable way to ensure effective communication.
- Ability and flexibility to work long hours on a regular basis and as business conditions demand.
- Ability to manage multiple activities often in stressful situations.
- Ability to organize oneself, and one’s work, and the efforts of others.
- Ability to make an effective judgment on all facets of front office operations and staff, and the ability to effectively solve guest and operational problems.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum 3 years experience in management. Supervisory experience required. Experience levels required might vary based upon the size, volume, and character of the company.
Mental & Physical Demands
- Willing to monitor and react to emergencies 24/7
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to talk calmly and defuse upset guests
- Indoor work with hard and carpeted surfaces.
- Standing for eight (8) hour shifts.
- This position is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions, cold, and heat.
- Extensive use of hands and fingers for manipulation of the keyboard, answering phone calls (100% of the time).
- Use of computer terminal, which requires extensive eye contact with a video display terminal.
- Paid time off and holiday pay
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Discounted travel accommodations for personal travel
- Flexible schedule and self-reliant
- Profit share bonus available plus solid base pay of $75k +